The 2020 Kentucky high school football season is right around the corner, and Southern Kentucky Preps — powered by Ken Waddell – Realtor, RE/MAX — is gearing up for the start of the campaign by previewing each of the 12 teams in its coverage area.
One team will be previewed each day from Aug. 31-Sept. 11. Yesterday, we took a look at Barren County. Today, we break down Edmonson County.
School: Edmonson County
Head Coach: Nathan Smith (5th season)
KHSAA Class: 2A, District 3
2019 Results: 6-7 overall, 5-1 Class 2A, District 3
Key Departures (2019 stats):
- WR/DB Brock Stethen — 26 catches, 449 yards, 8 touchdowns; 153 tackles, 3 sacks, 2 fumble recoveries
- WR Chance Lucas — 55 carries, 295 yards, 7 touchdowns; 6 catches, 140 yards, 3 touchdowns
Key Returners (2019 stats):
- Senior QB Jon Smith — 69-of-133, 1,248 yards, 15 touchdowns, 6 interceptions; 80 carries, 286 yards, 3 touchdowns
- Senior WR Isaiah Johnson — 23 catches, 450 yards, 4 touchdowns; 70 carries, 327 yards, 5 touchdowns
- Junior RB Matthew Shaw — 160 carries, 1,012 yards, 9 touchdowns
2020 Season Schedule:
- Sept. 11: vs. Hancock County
- Sept. 18: at Metcalfe County
- Sept. 25: at Warren East
- Oct. 1: at Monroe County
- Oct. 9: vs. Russellville
- Oct. 16: at Green County
- Oct. 23: vs. Clinton County
- Oct. 30: vs. Barren County
- Nov. 6: at Butler County
Preview: Edmonson County has improved season after season in four years under head coach Nathan Smith, and the Wildcats will look to take another step forward in Year No. 5 in 2020. The Wildcats, who went 6-7 overall and 5-1 in Class 2A, District 3 a season ago, graduated standout wide receiver/defensive back Brock Stethen and wideout Chance Lucas, but return senior quarterback Jon Smith, senior receiver Isaiah Johnson and junior running back Matthew Shaw — among many others with much experience. Edmonson County hasn’t won more than six games in a season since 2011 — the year in which it went 11-1 — but the Wildcats could very well surpass that win total this year with the pieces they have.