The 2020 Kentucky high school football season is right around the corner, and Southern Kentucky Preps — powered by Ken Waddell – Realtor, RE/MAX — is gearing up for the start of the campaign by previewing each of the 12 teams in its coverage area.
One team will be previewed each day from Aug. 31-Sept. 11. Yesterday, we took a look at Russellville. Today, we break down Franklin-Simpson.
Head Coach: Max Chaney (1st season)
KHSAA Class: 4A, District 2
2019 Results: 7-6 overall, 6-0 Class 4A, District 2
Key Departures (2019 stats):
- RB Leandre Stutzman — 103 carries, 1,150 yards, 8 touchdowns; 15 catches, 408 yards, 7 touchdowns
- RB Tedric Partinger — 78 carries, 718 yards, 9 touchdowns; 6 catches, 83 yards, touchdown
- RB Chase Gooch — 80 carries, 507 yards, 5 touchdowns
Key Returners (2019 stats):
- Junior QB Luke Richardson — 41-of-81, 779 yards, 11 touchdowns, 6 interceptions
- Junior RB Omar Harrison — 53 carries, 524 yards, 6 touchdowns
- Senior FB Malik Carter — 97 carries, 454 yards, 7 touchdowns
2020 Season Schedule:
- Sept. 18: at Russellville
- Sept. 25: vs. Allen County-Scottsville
- Oct. 2: vs. Russell County
- Oct. 9: vs. Logan County
- Oct. 16: at Warren Central
- Oct. 23: at Warren East
- Oct. 30: vs. Glasgow
Preview: After being led by Doug Preston for eight seasons and becoming one of the top teams in Class 4A year after year, Franklin-Simpson is beginning the Max Chaney Era in 2020. Chaney — who’s been around the game for quite some time — inherits a Wildcats squad that went 7-6 overall and 6-0 in Class 4A, District 2 a season ago and returns much experience and talent, highlighted by junior quarterback Luke Richardson, junior running back Omar Harrison and senior fullback Malik Carter. The Wildcats, who captured the state championship in 2018, have their sights set on making another playoff run later this year.