The 2020 Kentucky high school football season is right around the corner, and Southern Kentucky Preps — powered by Ken Waddell – Realtor, RE/MAX — is gearing up for the start of the campaign by previewing each of the 12 teams in its coverage area.
One team will be previewed each day from Aug. 31-Sept. 11. Yesterday, we took a look at Greenwood. Today, we break down Warren East.
School: Warren East
Head Coach: Jeff Griffith (5th season)
KHSAA Class: 4A, District 2
2019 Results: 4-7 overall, 2-3 Class 4A, District 2
Key Departures (2019 stats):
- WR EJ Smith — 27 catches, 423 yards, 6 touchdowns
- WR Logan Sanders — 23 catches, 359 yards, 2 touchdowns
- LB Zachary Tompkins — 59 tackles (54 solo), fumble recovery
Key Returners (2019 stats):
- Senior QB Nolan Ford — 108-of-208, 1,539 yards, 14 touchdowns, 10 interceptions; 139 carries, 924 yards, 15 touchdowns
- Senior RB KJ Alexander — 146 carries, 783 yards, 5 touchdowns
- Senior WR DeSean “Dee” Gilbert — 33 catches, 437 yards, 5 touchdowns
2020 Season Schedule:
- Sept. 11: vs. South Warren
- Sept. 18: at Russell County
- Sept. 25: vs. Edmonson County
- Oct. 1: vs. Warren Central
- Oct. 8: vs. Monroe County
- Oct. 16: at Allen County-Scottsville
- Oct. 23: vs. Franklin-Simpson
- Oct. 30: vs. Daviess County
- Nov. 6: at Logan County
Preview: Warren East features a senior-laden squad this season and will rely on its high level of experience throughout the year as it hopes to find much success. Standout dual-threat quarterback Nolan Ford — who accounted for 2,463 yards and 29 touchdowns in 2019 — will again pilot the Raiders, while versatile running back KJ Alexander (783 yards, 5 touchdowns) and wide receiver DeSean “Dee” Gilbert (437 yards, 5 touchdowns) will also hold valuable leadership roles. East opens with a loaded South Warren team right off the bat and will use that challenging Week 1 contest to prepare itself for the remainder of the campaign. Head coach Jeff Griffith — who’s entering his fifth season at the helm — and the Raiders have the luxury of playing six home games on the Smurf Turf in 2020.
- “The Raiders are optimistic due to the fact we return several very experienced skill players on offense in quarterback Nolan Ford, running back KJ Alexander, tight end/outside linebacker Seth Blaine and wide receiver/defensive back Dee Gilbert — all of which will be seniors with a lot of experience,” Warren East coach Jeff Griffith said.
- “I look forward to our district schedule of Russell County, Warren Central, ACS and Franklin Simpson,” Griffith said. “It has been a really competitive district in the past and this year should be as wide open as ever.”