The 2020 Kentucky high school football season is right around the corner, and Southern Kentucky Preps — powered by Ken Waddell – Realtor, RE/MAX — is gearing up for the start of the campaign by previewing each of the 12 teams in its coverage area.
One team will be previewed each day from Aug. 31-Sept. 11. Yesterday, we took a look at South Warren. Today, we break down Greenwood.
Head Coach: William Howard (3rd season)
KHSAA Class: 5A, District 2
2019 Results: 5-6 overall, 1-3 Class 5A, District 2
Key Departures (2019 stats):
- RB Reed Slone — 116 carries, 840 yards, 8 touchdowns; 24 catches, 342 yards, 5 touchdowns
- WR Yugi Ogawa — 22 catches, 338 yards
- LB Luke Rhoton — 44 tackles (19 solo)
Key Returners (2019 stats):
- Senior WR David Odom — 139 carries, 711 yards, 5 touchdowns; 20 catches, 206 yards
- Senior QB John Morrison — 75-of-189, 993 yards, 6 touchdowns, 13 interceptions
- Senior DT Sebastian Conwell — 138 tackles (71 solo)
2020 Season Schedule:
- Sept. 11: at Warren Central
- Sept. 18: vs. Logan County
- Sept. 25: at Barren County
- Oct. 2: vs. Christian County
- Oct. 9: vs. Glasgow
- Oct. 16: at South Warren
- Oct. 23: at Bowling Green
- Oct. 30: vs. John Hardin
- Nov. 5: at Allen County-Scottsville
Preview: Greenwood started off on a very high note last season — jumping out to a 4-0 start with wins over Franklin-Simpson, Warren Central, Allen County-Scottsville and Warren East — but soon cooled down and went just 1-6 to finish the campaign. Although the Gators didn’t finish the year as they would’ve liked, they were able to see what they’re capable of doing based on the way they started and have high expectations for 2020. Greenwood graduated standout running back Reed Slone, but returns quite a bit of experience — led by three seniors in wide receiver David Odom, quarterback John Morrison and defensive tackle Sebastian Conwell — that will lead the way throughout a challenging schedule that includes back-to-back October meetings with longtime foes South Warren and Bowling Green.