The 2019-20 high school basketball season is just around the corner and leading up to opening night Dec. 2 Med Center Health Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine will present team previews for both boys’ and girls’ teams across the Bowling Green area.
While the District 14 boys’ teams were previewed individually, this preview features the other teams in the SouthernKyPreps.com coverage area. In case you missed the aforementioned previews, here they are:
Now, let’s take a look at the other area squads.
Team: Allen County-Scottsville
Head Coach: Brad Bonds (Second season)
- 23-9 overall, 5-3 District 15
- District 15 runner-up
- Lost to Clinton County in Region 4 quarterfinals
- Guard Brett Rippy (17.2 PPG)
- Guard Bryce Carter (5.8 PPG)
- Guard Cayden Ross (3.0 PPG)
- Guard Camden Carver (2.7 PPG)
- Junior Guard Mason Shirley (14.8 PPG)
- Senior Forward Owen Stamper (9.5 PPG)
- Junior Guard Jax Cooper (8.7 PPG)
Season Opener: Tuesday, Dec. 3 at South Warren at 7:30 p.m.
Coach’s Quote: “We have a great group of young men that are willing and very capable of stepping in any role that we ask them to. I like the potential that this team brings as we have multiple players that could have a big scoring night. Defensively, we get better each day within the details and schemes we try to employ. The attitude and focus has been great so far in preseason, so hopefully we are putting in place the pieces needed to be successful.
“One thing we have discussed this year is not placing so much emphasis on just getting to the regional tournament but being a factor in the tournament and competing for a championship. I do feel that the returning players have a sense of positive pride about being able to play at Diddle Arena and understanding what that atmosphere is like now. They have a hunger of trying to get back and doing greater things once there. However, that isn’t an easy road for us as our 15th District is very good with talented players and great coaches. Also, this Fourth Region is tough to compete in top to bottom as there may be as many teams, six to eight, capable of winning the regional tournament as there have ever been.”
Head Coach: James Willett (Fifth season)
- 21-11 overall, 6-2 District 15
- District 15 champion
- Lost to Warren Central in Region 4 quarterfinals
- Guard Tayshaun Bradley (9.6 PPG)
- Senior Guard Nik Sorrell (19.4 PPG)
- Senior Guard Tucker Kirkpatrick (11.2 PPG)
- Senior Center Robert Kingery (9.6 PPG)
- Senior Forward Bowen Haney (8.6 PPG)
- Senior Center Jaden Franklin (Missed 2018-19 with injury)
Season Opener: Monday, Dec. 2 at Monroe County at 7:30 p.m.
Coach’s Quote: “I have high expectations for this group this season. We are returning seven seniors off a team that has had a lot of success the last couple of years. These guys are experienced and should provide our program with mature leadership and an understanding of what it takes to win big games. With that said, we know we play in a very competitive district and region. These guys should understand they can take no one lightly and know that they must compete every night out.
“Every goal should center around regular-season district games, in my opinion. None of the other, bigger goals matter if you don’t advance past the first round in the district tournament. We know how competitive the 15th District is and have great respect for the coaches and the programs throughout it. So, any other goal beyond that must be tempered with a focus on taking care of everything else first.”
Team: Barren County
Head Coach: Warren Cunningham (11th season)
- 15-15 overall, 1-6 District 15
- Lost to Glasgow in District 15 semifinals
- Guard Landon Key (4.8 PPG)
- Forward Michael Harbison (3.3 PPG)
- Senior Guard/Forward Will Bandy (15.6 PPG)
- Sophomore Guard Aden Nyekan (14.3 PPG)
- Junior Guard Gavin Withrow (8.6 PPG)
- Senior Forward Tyler Bush (4.7 PPG)
- Sophomore Guard Taye Poynter (4.0 PPG)
Season Opener: Tuesday, Dec. 3 vs. Green County at 7:30 p.m.
Coach’s Quote: “We have a very experienced team but must continue to learn who is going to play what role and we must continue to work to play more consistently. Our goals are always to compete for a district championship and get to the region and compete for a region championship.”
Head Coach: Dee Spencer (Eighth season)
- 16-13 overall, 6-2 District 13
- District 13 runner-up
- Lost to Bowling Green in Region 4 quarterfinals
- Forward Dayveon Harris (7.8 PPG)
- Forward Jevon Covington (6.2 PPG)
- Senior Guard/Forward DeMarco Chatman (15.9 PPG)
- Junior Guard Andreyous Miller (11.6 PPG)
- Senior Guard Tedric Partinger (6.9 PPG)
- Senior Guard Dawson Knight (5.7 PPG)
- Junior Guard Kyjuan Stutzman (4.2 PPG)
Season Opener: Tuesday, Dec. 3 at Monroe County at 7:30 p.m.
Coach’s Quote: “My thoughts about our team are we are more experienced than we have been the last couple years, which means we have guys that understand what it takes to be successful at this level. What stands out to me is DeMarco Chatman, Dawson Knight and Andreyous Miller’s leadership. Those guys have taken control of team. Also, we have gotten so much stronger. We dedicated ourselves to the weight room.
“Primary goals for the season is to take one game at a time and improve each game. We want to win our district and make some noise in the region tournament.”
Team: Logan County
Head Coach: John Tinsley (Second season)
- 25-7 overall, 7-1 District 13
- District 13 champion
- Lost to Warren Central in Region 4 semifinals
- Guard Kelby Epley
- Forward Tommy Krohn
- Guard Third Bell
- Forward Reggie Powell
- Junior Anthony “Rooster” Woodard
- Senior Brady Griggs
- Senior Jay Hardison
- Senior Jose Nazario
- Senior Dalton Thompson
- Senior Nathaniel Vick
Season Opener: Tuesday, Dec. 3 vs. Muhlenberg County at 7:30 p.m.
Coach’s Quote: “My main goal is get better daily. Our team goal is to come out and compete at a high level daily and get fundamentally sound.”
Head Coach: Carlos Quarles (First season)
- 8-17 overall, 1-6 District 13
- Lost to Franklin-Simpson in District 13 semifinals
- Guard Jacob Naylor (25.1 PPG)
- Guard Elijah Kemp (13.3 PPG)
- Forward Shawn Steele (4.2 PPG)
- Senior Devan Kimbrough (4.4 PPG)
- Junior Jaquis Todd (4.1 PPG)
- Sophomore Lennon Ries (2.8 PPG)
Season Opener: Monday, Dec. 2 vs. Greenbrier, Tenn. at 7 p.m.
Coach’s Quote: “I’m excited about our team. We are a work in progress, but we have a good group of hardworking players. Most of our guys play football, so I didn’t have much time with them heading into the season, but we had a good summer and look to continue progressing. We want to be very competitive in our district, and would like to earn a spot in the regional tournament.”